Thursday, February 19, 2015

What am I supposed to eat?

I’m here writing about the Furman Dinning Hall.  This is something I think most of us have the same opinion on.  The Dining Hall is not a good enough source of food for college students.  The food they put out is on occasion good, but usually terrible.  What upsets me the most is the meal options on the weekends that Furman provides.  On one occasion the only thing that was available to eat was chicken nuggets.  How am I supposed to get the nutrition much less be satisfied eating processed chicken nuggets that test like rubber?  And the worst part about it is the pden and paddock are also closed during the weekend.  It is like Furman wants to starve their students on the weekends so we have no energy to do anything.
I realize Furman is a smaller college but I would still like more food options later at night other than Einstein’s.  Why would I want an overpriced bagel at midnight?  Furman should invest in putting a restaurant on campus that is open 24/7, I realize that would be kind of costly but all waffle house stores already are open all day every day.  How hard would it be to put a diner like waffle house on campus somewhere.  I realize that it may not look the best having a restaurant building on campus, but I think Furman is too worried about how the campus appeals to outsiders than keeping the students that spend four years of their lives here happy. 
The Furman dining hall should upgrade their quality of food, and stay open longer.  I would like to go to the dining hall after eight o’clock especially when practice ends at seven or seven-thirty. I have to rush over and eat the scrapes of what is left over from dinner that day.  It is hard as an athlete to get the amount of food I need from the dining hall.  I have lost close to ten pounds coming to college because I am just not getting the nutrition or amount of food I need.          

4 comments:

  1. I agree completely with this. There is no way near enough healthy choices in the DH and RJ is right that as an athlete the DH does next to nothing helpful for us. Firstly, there isn't enough healthy food for us to put in our bodies, and secondly the hours make finding a meal difficult when practices or games run past the 8pm closing time and we can no longer find food on campus unless we waste palapoints at the pden. Also there really should be a more substantial food place on campus that is open late, that offers both real food and snacks as many students are up late studying and what not. There have been many occasions when its late and I have to drive off campus to get cookout or some other fast food because there is no substantial source of food on campus past around 9pm. The DH also makes it hard because they offer very few meat sources besides chicken, and as Im anemic I need some source of red meat or at least un-wilted spinach that I can eat on a regular basis. Since I can't get this at the DH, i now have to take iron pills which is just a hassle that could easily be resolved with slightly more options in the DH. All I feel like I eat in the DH is pasta or maybe stir fry because so often those are the only things that appear appetizing to me because wilted lettuce just doesn't cut it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with RJ. I do not think that the Dining hall is adequate enough, and do believe a school with Furman's resources could do a little bit more to provide the students with better food. On one particular occasion I walked into Dining hall at brunch time on a weekend, and for several minutes waited while all that sat out was plain grits and French fries. I left and drove to find food off campus, which in itself has happened one too many times. From the perspective of a student athlete, the low quality and poor tasting food makes it hard to eat adequately enough to support a good performance both on the field and in the classroom. At the very least I do not see why they could not open the DH a half-hour earlier, keep it open all day, and shut it a half-hour later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These issues have been brought up by many student athletes in the past. They have often complained that there are no food options for athletes that have practice or games during the time that their school's dining halls are open. This problem was not specific to Furman, but it has been dealt with. All it took was one high profile student-athlete to complain and something was done. Shabazz Napier of the UConn Huskies Basketball team one time tweeted after a game that he was going to bed hungry because all of his on-campus food options were closed. As a result, the NCAA passed a law that food should be available to all student-student athletes 24/7, and it was the team's responsibility to get the food. So if you want more food, stop complaining about it on here and go talk to your coaches about it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it sounds like everyone might be losing the Freshman 20. Although in this case, that's probably a bad thing.

    Perhaps this is symptomatic of the enigma of the commodity that Marx discusses, which prevents real needs from being met and alienates people from their own labor power.

    In this case, perversely, even where there is a consumer demand for good food, those needs are still not getting met, precisely because it doesn't happen to serve the interests of the various parties to these agreements.

    Food for thought (no pun intended).

    ReplyDelete