Thursday, March 19, 2015

Response to Kat

I agree with Kat studying abroad is a very important.  I haven’t taken classes in another country but I have been a few places around the world and the experiences I've had were extremely fun, and memorable.  In 2010, I went to South Africa.  I spent tens days over my Easter break helping grow relationships with the underprivileged people of South Africa and created relationships and made experiences I will never forget.  Throughout the trip we built houses and planted gardens for the people to better their lives. 
I also went to Spain and Italy summer of my senior year.  We went to Barcelona and traveled all throughout Italy.  I went to all the famous land marks and enjoyed every second of it.  But that is not what I take back most from that trip.  I learned how to overcome language barriers with many Spanish and Italians, buying stamps could not be any more complicated.  But I also learned how to manage my money and not spend it all on the first thing I saw.  I learned how to barter with street venders and get the best deals on fake sunglasses. 
These two experiences have taught me a lot and I believe they have helped me discover who I really am, and helped me mature as a person and as a man.  These trips helped me and I would like to go study abroad sometime because I feel as though I would return with similar and hopefully better experiences.  Going abroad just would open my mind up to many new ways of thinking and new cultures, and I think that is very important especially for college students as they are discovering who they are themselves and what they want to be doing for the rest of their lives.        

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure you learned much more than haggling over fake sunglasses, although that is a very useful skill no doubt. I think the larger lesson there is just how to deal with incredibly complex and cognitively stressful situations, and to quickly navigate them. There is nothing more stressful sometimes that hopping off a train and having to find your way around a new city, get a room, and get situated. The best lesson is learning to make the most of these situations and to enjoy doing so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often wonder what the experiences in places in South Africa are like for the other side, the underprivileged people who do not have the ability to go study abroad somewhere. Do they see these rich people coming in and think that it is going to be a good time for them? Even after they do meet you and receive your aid, do get a similar feeling that you receive. You said that you developed relationships with people that you will never forget, and I am wondering if the people you were with also will never forget these interaction. I do not mean you personally, I am just wondering about this in general.

    ReplyDelete