Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Response to Hana

                I was spanked as a child multiple times.  I was not a well behaved child, I was always told I have an “attitude” problem.  My mom used to spank me when I would whine or just not do what she told me.  Being spanked was a normal part of my childhood.  I never really learned from the spanking, I kept repeating whatever I did wrong.  My mom eventually figured out this was not working and stop spanking me. 
            I think spanking is very acceptable and it’s by the discretion of the parents to see how much they spank their children or if at all.  But there is a thin line between spanking and abusing your child.  Child abuse is very terrible and should never happen and spanking can lead to child abuse if a bad parent gets too eager to spank their children. 
Parents should spank because it instills respect for authority.  With authority comes responsibility, these authority figures need to learn how to spank effectively.  They need to instill the threat of spanking and try to reinforce the threat without actually spanking.  Parents that can spank and then remind the children of the threat of spanking to make them act respectful is the ideal way to discipline your child using corporal punishment.  Certain parents do not understand that they spank their child too much and it turns into child abuse. 

I think spanking is a very good thing and when it is used the proper way children will behave the correct way and respect authority.  Spanking is a tool that can be used properly to teach children how to behave.  I think I will definitely spank my children as a parent but only as a last resort and try and threaten spanking more than actually doing it.    

2 comments:

  1. I think you make a great point RJ. You seem to have had the same response to spankings as my brothers did. As I said in class I believe spankings have a place in society, but there is no one set rule for it. For some children it is just not an effective form of disciplinary action, and so this should be taken into serious consideration. Spankings and other forms of corporal punishment do not seem to affectively be applied on a National Level, and must be pondered at the level of the common household, with discernment differing for all a parent’s children. For example, both my brothers got nothing from being spanked at home or paddled in school but more of a determination to undermine authority. For myself on the other hand when the punishment was thoughtfully provided in the right doses, it honestly might have done me some good, though I definitely was not a fan at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do you think spanking is good when it didn't seem to work well on you? Saying that spanking is not the same as abuse, and may be perfectly harmless, is not the same as saying it's effective of course. Where did the disconnect emerge between your actual experience and why you feel it is effective?

    ReplyDelete