Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Response to Isaac

I agree with Isaac, I believe the school system is very sub-par.  Isaac makes many good points the thing that stood out the most to me was about how teachers who are not excited to teach.  This really does have a major effect on me as a student.  I have had some very monotone unenthusiastic teachers.  This surely effects how much effort I give in class.  My senior year in high school I had a very unenthusiastic physics teacher and I just gave no effort in class and would sleep every day.  This teacher acted like she cared at first but then eventually gave up on me and just left me alone during class.  I ended up getting a 70 in the class and less than a 50% on the final exam.  I would have been more willing to give effort is she made class interesting and if she was not so biased towards the other students. 
            Also Isaac talked about the strong push towards math and not the humanities.  I do not like this push because I am extremely bad at math.  This type of learning problem solving can be taught through many other ways not just math and science.  I would say I am an average problem solver learning to become a better one, but I’m not learning through math and science, I am learning this through the humanities like political science classes and classes that teach me how to think critically.  

            So if the school system had super fun teachers that were excited about teaching, I think that students would be much more willing to learn.  And the fact that math and science are being taught more so than other areas of study.         

3 comments:

  1. You sleep in our class sometimes--am I too monotone?

    Seriously, though, it's all fun to be entertaining and such, but what makes for a truly engaging experience as you see it? Besides altering voice tone, what makes for an interesting experience?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is not about you, I only sleep in class when I stay up past my bed time. I was speaking more about high school teachers who do not fully understand what they are teaching.

    ReplyDelete