Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Response to Brady

I disagree with Brady.  I believe everything about Greek Life is a productive way to grow as a person and make you a better man or woman.  Brady brings up the issue of “paying for your friends” but I completely disagree with this.  As a member of the Kappa Alpha Order I can guarantee that no one in the fraternity came into it with the idea of “buying” friends.  Joining KA I have made my closest friends for the rest of my life and this is not because I pay my dues.  If fraternities were free I still think people would still want to join them, but not everyone would be given the privilege to join them, the bid process would still be there and probably more complex since more people would rush.  I also know I have meet more people than I would have otherwise if I had not joined a fraternity.  With this I am expanding my circle and making new connections with people I probably would have not meet before.  My pledge brothers mean a lot to me and they are my best friends and they will be for the rest of my life, I will “marry them and bury them”.  Meaning I will be with them at probably the most important times in their lives.  I would not have an extra group of brothers like this if I had not joined KA.  Fraternities are so much more than just drinking clubs.  It looks like that is what it is from an outsider’s point of view, but in reality it is a system of people you know who love you and will make sacrifices for you when you are in a time of need.  Fraternities do a lot of philanthropy work.  Greek Life is a major contributor to charities and work very involved with charity work.  

1 comment:

  1. I do agree that fraternities facilitate various new relationships with people and, in many cases, these relationships are quite strong. By going through common experiences with people, friendships are often formed. This is why bonds between soldiers in war are so strong. However, you bring up the point that you would not have met these people if you had not joined the fraternity. This is where I think your logic differs from mine. For me, that means that had you not payed the money to join the fraternity, you would not have made these friends. Therefore, you are paying your dues and in return, get to make friends with people that you otherwise would not be friends with

    ReplyDelete