Monday, April 13, 2015

Response to Tucker

Yes I agree a lot with what Tucker was saying.  Coming down to South Carolina from Ohio people are much more racist.  Many of my white friends are more than ok with saying the N-word in any form.  But for me saying the N-word is very vulgar I respect black people well enough to not use such a derogatory term for them.  This term is crude and should not be spoken by whites as the word has such a history of tense feelings attached to it.
I think that black people should be allowed to say it if they like.  Their ancestors went through the hardships and grew up being called this.  As black people get more used to hearing the term from one of their own, it desensitizes the crudeness of the word.  Which I think is very good as black people make this word more part of their society as a synonym for friend or brother, it shows pride in their heritage and where they came from. 

The thing that happened at Oklahoma University is very terrible, two guys were caught doing something I’m sure they did not realize was being videotaped.  This puts a very bad reputation on fraternities everyone and makes Greek Organizations get more heat than we already do for hazing and being thought of as arrogant.  Fraternities and sororities are known to some people as “buying your friends” I disagree with this because as joining KA I have gotten to be so close with all of my brothers and it’s not because they have to be friends with me because we all paid our dues.  But it’s because we are all gotten very close over the past year and we enjoy each of the others company.  The money we pay just goes to make our college experience more fun as we have formals and house parties, which we need money to make happen, and dues are just the most efficient way to collect money.  

1 comment:

  1. What you're describing is "reappropriation," and I think it is an important part of the healing process. That's why I think as you rightly recognize there is a difference when different communities use the term. The communal aspect of the usage really comes through in the OU case.

    ReplyDelete